About Us





Contact Us


Workplace Related Issues

What is workplace stress

Work plays a powerful role in people\'s lives and exerts an important influence on their well-being. Although employment can be an exciting challenge for many individuals, it can also be a tremendous source of stress. Consequently, as work makes more and more demands on time and energy, individuals are increasingly exposed to both the positive and negative aspects of employment. When the demands on an individual exceed the perceived resources available to them, this results in an elevation of their anxiety and potentially depression.

How common is workplace stress?

An article from the Australian Psychological Society (APS) reports that ?More workers are making psychological stress-related compensation claims than ever before, with the national cost of such claims estimated to be $105.5 million in 2000-2001. Recent figures show how the nature of stress claims makes them particularly costly. Although the number of such claims account for a minority of claims overall, stressed workers tend to stop working for longer periods, resulting in a higher relative cost to employers. In 2001-2002 stress accounted for over half of all long term (12 or more weeks) compensation claims that did not involve an injury.?

What types of workplace-related issues are there?

Most workplace-related problems relate to the following issues:

  • Work stress
  • Assertiveness at work
  • Conflict resolution
  • Communication and interpersonal skills
  • Performance enhancement
  • Time management
  • Procrastination
  • Managing workloads
  • Workplace bullying
  • Burnout

Helping yourself

Some ways of managing stress include the following:

  • Learn and practise relaxation techniques
  • Understand how important physical activity is for good mental health
  • Getting enough sleep
  • Maintain social contact
  • Be physically active
  • Reduce alcohol and other drugs

Getting professional help

you, or someone that you know, is in need of additional assistance, the best person to speak to is your GP. They may refer you to a mental health professional, such as a psychologist or psychiatrist.

The following services may also be of assistance: